Sunday, February 13, 2011

Music

You know they say music is good for the soul. Some times when you come into my house you would need a pair or ear plugs because you would never know what kind of music you would hear. If Eoghan had his choice all you would hear is Bon Jovi, if Maura had her choice all you would hear is Justin Beiber, Mylie Cyrus, Miranda Cosgrove, Victora somebody and all the other teeny boppers, if Finnian had his choice Sarah Brightman, Andrea Boccelli and a few more would be only played. Now my choice depends on my mood you could hear anything from The Cranberries, Garth Brooks, Annie Lenox, The Pretenders, Reba to Rod Stewart. There is always music on to calm the body and mind.
We have found that through music Finnian is more receptive and expressive. He can tell you what he likes and dislikes. Its really nice to see when you tell him " this is your song Finny sing to me" and he will respond with a sound that will sound like he is singing along. Not bad for a child that is non verbal. We have found that if we play his music when the teacher is here he will do a lot of work with her. Its like in the hospital the other day he was crying and of course the first thing " maybe he needs some more pain meds" I just pulled out his ipod and tuned him in to his music and right away he calmed down. It was a bit too quiet there so I guess he just needed his music to make him happy.
So what's your choice in music?

We have discovered that not only is it the music but the voices he loves. How we know this is another artist was singing one of Finnian's favourites and he kept telling me no so I played it with the voice he knew with the song and I got a yes response. So to the wonderful voices that my Finnian loves please keep singing.

No comments: