Sunday, February 21, 2010

Waiting for test results

In December Finnian had some blood drawn for genetic testing. Some people wanted to know why we were doing it, why couldn't we just leave the unknown basically unknown. Who knows if anything will show and if something shows up in his genetic work up will it gives us answers or more questions.
At the same time I do have 2 other children and I think for them, they need to know if this is something in their genetic makeup. What if it is something that they could pass on to one of their children? You know years form now I would hate for one of them to say to me "if you had Finnian tested we would know about this".
Even with these tests we might not get any answers but at least I will have known I did do the right thing.
Some did not want me to do testing, and you wonder why not? are there things that they are afraid of that might show up? Look my reason for looking is a) is it a heredity trait?. b) will the answers help in Finnians treatment? Plain and simple I only want what is best for Finnian.
So I put my big girl knickers on they other day and put the call in to see if all of the tests were back. I don't want to just get some and have to wait for more. Its all or nothing so now I am waiting . I am a bit anxious but I cannot be sure if its from waiting for the phone call to say "yes all of the test results are in" or if its the up coming surgery on his hip.
What the hip surgery is , its to put his hip back in to the socket/ The doc will have to form the socket and then put the joint back in to place. Then his femur will have to be broken because it they just fix the hip his leg will look twisted. So they have to basically have to break the leg and turn it the right way. Then they have to break his other leg and cut a peice out of it and pin it back together, the reason they have to break and cut his good leg is they don't want his left leg to be shorter than his right. I was surprised that they are not going to cast him he will have a brace. The surgery will take at least 4 hours and fingers crossed there will not be any complications.
So now we wait for test results and for the surgery.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

bleeh...I hate waiting for test results....that's got to be the worst...sorry you are in this "mode" right now...but I understand why, and we will do the same for our kids, so they can know if they have the "mito gene"