Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Ear infections

Well yesterday he was acting a bit funny so we just put it down to the coming storm. But did I know what it was at 12:15 am this morning when I heard the tell tale cough. Yup that's right he started puking his poor little guts out and then he let it free on the other end. So I clean him up and take him out to the couch his usual perch when he is not feeling good. Then the screaming starts and he keeps pulling on his hair. So I get out the Otho scope and take a peek in his ear. I cannot see anything so I give him some calpol and hope it will keep the pain away because I know its an ear infection.
At about 2:15 am he starts puking again this time all over the couch. At this stage the smell is getting me so I give him a quick shower to rid him of the smell. It was quite a sight to see him wrapped up like a burrito at that hour in the morning on the floor. Thankfully I had put plenty of those blue disposable chuck pads down so the couch was a quick clean up.
This morning when I checked his ear I could see the problem a bloody ear infection.
So my Finnian showes the most unusual symptoms of an ear infection, puking and the runs and then the screaming starts. The only way to keep him happy is in a reclined position and keep moving him. So we started back on the ear drops and this evening when I checked his ear again you could see the junk coming out so at least they are working.
Roll on April so we can get the new set of tubes put in.

2 comments:

Carolien said...

I feel sorry for Finnian, unfortunatly we know all about the ear infections. Can't he have the tubes earlier? Or is it because of the (special) anasthatics he needs?
Carolien

Bronx Cataldo's said...

Hi Carolien,
When we were at the doctor in December we were told that April 23 was the date for Finnian;s surgery. Since then we have had 2 ear infections and his tonsils were so big he wasn't able to swallow his own spit so he was on antibotics for them too.
He is going in for surgery on your birthday. He is having his hip fixed so it won't keep popping out