Monday, February 22, 2010

The changes in Our Finnian

Back in November I kinda of disagreed with his doctor over the medications. You know I have followed ever increase and decrease to the tee. Never questioned why med W over med H. I never wanted to go to the benzo route but I did agree to put him on Klonopin to tie him over while weaning lamictal. Then in November while in the hospital they wanted to change his benzo but that was hard as it was never a drug I wanted him on in the first place.
We had seen changes in him once we put him on Banzel. Banzel has gotten mixed reviews but with Finny I could see positive changes.But it seemed like it wasn't working to the fullest. Since he seemed to basically eat Keppra like candy and I never saw positive changes in any increase as far as seizure control. I wanted to wean Keppra. It wasn't something his doctor was in favour of but it was something I wanted to try. So the agreement was we try my way and if it didn't work I would go the other benzo route.So we started the wean slow.
The changes in him are unbelievable he is rolling from his back to his tummy and he is even rolling to the right. He hasn't done that in, I cannot remember its been along time. He is pushing up on his hands, well I should say his right hand and his left elbow. Even if you put him on the floor he scootches and wiggles all over the place. His eyes seem to be more focused and it looks like he can see. He can be at times a bold little boy and he seems to know what he is doing. He is trying so hard to speak and there are so many more sounds coming out of his mouth.
For now it seems we have stumbled on the right combo of drugs for him. How long this will be the right one, only time will tell.
But I will take every day of positive change.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Thanks for putting a smile on my face...mother's intuition...right on!

I want Hudson off Lamictal...my gut says it is making things worse, but I am told since we are titrating the Vimpat, we can't make changes...I get it...but I still think the Lamictal is inhibiting the others from doing their job...that's what my gut says!!!!