Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I had to go digging looking for papers today so I can have it when they call form the hospital. Shows how much I was thinking because there are extra copies in Finnian's folder. The papers I was looking for are the ones that show that Joe has an enzyme problem which he is effected by succinylcholine which is a short acting anesthesia. Joe is a homozygote carrier which means he got one gene form each of his parents so Eoghan Maura and Finnian are one gene carriers. they probably would not have a reaction like their Dad has to that anesthesia but its always better to be safe than sorry.
I remember when Finnian was in the ICU and I was telling them they cannot use one type of anesthesia on him to insert the breathing tube I couldn't remember the name but thankfully one of the nurses picked up on my description and was able to tell them and as soon as he said Succinycholine I said thats the one. Its not something that is used on kids that much but in an emergency it can be used.

1 comment:

Jennifer Ortiz said...

Very interesting. Didn't know that could affect things. Isn't it crazy how much we learn about medical terms.