Monday, May 24, 2010

Finnian is home

What a rough few days but our boy is home. He is in pain but doing great. He just had the femur done he didn't need the hip done so he doesn't have a matching pair of scars.
Got a scare on Thursday/ Well the doc came out after the surgery and said everything went great just had to do the femur. In about 20minutes or so someone would come out and take me back to him. I asked if he needed to go to the ICU like the last time and he said no he did great. So I wait and I wait and I wait. Finally I went to see what was keeping them. The nurse was surprised that I was still waiting so she called the recovery room. Finnian is not there. Called the OR hes not there. So she said Finnian OR 3 hip surgery where is he all I hear "hes in the ICU" and she is telling me go to the 9th floor. I hear her ask "why wasn't Mom told" but didn't wait for the answer. Going up in the lift seemed to take forever. Got to the ICU and all I wanted was to see my boy and make sure he was alright. The doc said he's here and he is doing fine we were waiting for you. Waiting for me what the *****. I had spoken to his doc right after the surgery and he said he was fine and now I find out he got taken straight from the OR to the ICU over an hour later. Got told a slight communication error. No its a huge f**** error. Got everything straighened out with his meds and checked all of his IV to make sure he wasn't getting any sugars.
Joe and his parents came and I went out to get something to eat. Came back and was eating in the lounge and I could hear Finnian crying. Got told he had been crying since I left they even had given him pain meds and he was still uncomfortable. The child wasn't crying because of pain from the surgery his whole body was spasming. Got some meds but it didn't get rid of them fully and I refused the extra bolous of morphine as when he got them he spasmed even more. Next morning the pain crew came and wanted to know why I wasn't letting him get the extra pain meds. So I told them got told "its common for them to have spasms after the surgery" Yeah right in the area where the surgery was but not in his whole body. Next thing Finnian has a spasm and they changed his pain meds and added some valium to help the spasms. He was doing so good after that they sent him to a regular room. He stayed there until this morning and he got his walking papers. So now he is home on pain meds and we are going to be weaning the Valium. He is not in a brace or casts so we will see how it goes.
I hate when professionals don't listen to the parents who know their child. All they do is read about him on his chart. When you have a child that walks a different path of normal meds can do funny things thats not in a medical text book.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Oh my you have been through the ringer the last few days!

Hope your boy is doing well tonight and the pain is ceasing.

I am sure the stress of the last few days makes you happy to be home and knowing he is in YOUR care...aaahhhh!

I would be freaking if they didn't know where my kid was after surgery!
Geez, not good.

Go pour a glass of wine, or some irish cream and relax ;)

Sending hugs,love and healing your way