Thursday, January 21, 2010

Home

A few people have taken notice that I refer to Ireland as home. Don't get me wrong I have a nice home here in the Bronx and yes I do live in an apartment. Its my home here with my family, my hubby Joe, and my children Eoghan, Maura and Finnian. I am very thankful to say my parent just live around the corner so in a way it makes it home away from home.
Even though I was born here in the good ole USA I have no memories of being here as a small child. My family moved back to Ireland when I was just a little nipper and I grew up there. I grew up with the music, traditions, old wives tales, home remadies and customs. Even now I am considered to be old fashioned in many ways but hey, thats the was I was reared. Even after being back living here in the Bronx people laugh I have the Holy water font by the door most times its empty but its there. I have a picture of Pope John Paul the second up on my wall I have a picture of the Sacred Heart in the kids bedroom. I have many St.Bridgets crosses in my house. To be honest there is a religious object in every room of my house well except the bathroom. But that was a something I grew up with and I find comfort in it.
The one thing I miss and its something I can't have my children do is making the St. Bridgets crosses. I remember my Dad going out and gettingt the rushes and putting the then on the kitchen floor and we would sit and make the crosses. THere was always one over the door . I guess I do it here to make it home away from home.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I think your "old fashion" ways sound pretty cool to me!
The ways of our childhood were simpler, and care-free...in my opinion anyways! (My mom may beg to differ!) I wish my kids could go grow up when I did...or even further back than that...just because as time moves forward the ways of the world seem more and more artificial, stressful and happiness is based on false ideaology...again, my opinion! :)

I wish my kids could have the freedom we did as children...things I did as a kid my kids can't do in our world today. So Sad!

Anyways,keep instilling those "old fashion" ways in your kids, you won't regret it!