Sunday, April 18, 2010

The thing you have to understand

The thing about seizures is you can pump medications in to your child to keep them at bay but the slightest upset of the apple cart and it can all go away in a snap of your fingers. With our Finnian we know sickness (ie ear infections or any illness), changes in tempature ( mostly increases) all effect him. Pain is another tweaker that can cause an increase in seizures.
My goal as his mother is to keep him as well as possible and as pain free as possible. I hate having to had him over to people I don't really know in an O.R. but I do because its what is best for him and his quality of life.
It the same thing with bumping up his right hip surgery its the right thing to do for him. Do I like the idea he is going to have to go under ansetheia again? Hell no, but to put his hip in the socket the right way and take away his pain its the right thing. Would you walk around with a splinter in your foot and not take it out? I know I would probably be digging it out with a needle as soon as I could so I wouldn't have pain.
We got his cataracts removed with the hope that he would be able to see but we didn't relize that his seizures liked attacking the vision center in his brain and thats the reason he cannot see. I tried my best for him not to get a g-tube but I finally gave in and you know it was the best thing I ever did for him. We have gone from weekly visits to the peds due to congestion to visits now only when he is sick which is now every few months. We are going to get the tubes put back in his ears because being that he is blind he needs his ears to function properly.
You know I hate that I basically have a pharmacy/hospital in my house. I have medications and equipment up the wazoo but i do it all so that my Finnian has a chance at a "normal" life.

No comments: