Monday, June 1, 2009

Its one thing having a child with high medical needs but then add a second one in the mix with different problems. I really started this blog for Finnian so family could keep up to date on his condition. I have found that now I have to get Eoghans disorder noticed. Its not that easy as there aren't too many sites out there some only skimp on the basics and they usually point you to the sites of food allergies. Yes his problem is mainly with food more an allergy. Its crazy I have a child who loves I mean LOVES food. Now I find that its hard to even get salad dressing can you beleive it salad dressing that doesn't have any of his no no foods in it. There is only so much olive oil and vinegar that you can put on his salad we have also found htat mixing lemon juice and olive oil together is another alternative. My little sister is great and has to be given credit as she makes his cookies and cakes she has gotten all kinds of baking books so he can have a sweet. In some ways we are lucky he can have some things in small amounts there are some kids who have to live on special formula and for treats like cakes for birthdays they have to settel for DUM Dum lollipops or ice chips and cakes made out of boxes. Its a new learning experience for me I thought I finally had gotten to the point where I was comfortable with changing meds increasing /decreasing meds. Doing anything new with Finnian is done now with out me almost having a panick attack like you mean you want me to change his G-tube button on my own!! or I have to do what to him when he doesnt' pee. Oh yeah cath him no problem its sad to say but all of thoes things are easy. It pains me to no end when i pick up and start to read whats in something . You get to a point you just scan down and look for the word soy it just jumps out and all you think what dosen't have some form of soy in it. You basically cannot buy Ice cream becasue 99% of them have eggs in it. You cannot buy packaged frozen veggies because they all contain peas. You have to watch the amount of dairy because if you give just a teaspoon to much he will get pains in his belly. eating out is getting hard becasue vegatable oils contain soy some can even have peanut in them. So you have to very careful not to get anything fried becasue you don't know . Its not worth taking the chance becasue its not nice to see the childs belly bloated and him curled up in the fetal position becasue his belly hurts then you are racking your brain trying to think waht did he eat. We have found that even some things he could eat in small amounts there are times he cannot have them because his enviromental allergies also play a roll and increases his sensitivity. Its like when you go out and its a high pollen day you have to make sure that we bring that tiny expensive bottle of eye drops with you because sometimes putting them in in the morning just doesn't cut it for the whole day. the little prick of a bottle costs us $23.67 and thats with insurance its so small sometimes I cannot find it when I am in a panic it just seems to get lost in the bag becasue it get stuck in something.
Life is all about learning from the day we are born we are learning. Its seem I cannot learn enough there is always somthing new. I have also learned I have to spend more time with Maura becasue she feels that the boys are getting all the attention. she comes shopping and now she will look to see if if there are no no foods in it. She has come to relize that her little brother is not like her friends younger siblings. She thinks her brother is quite cool because he get to eat through a hole in his belly none of her friends younger sibs can do that. When Finny has a seizure she shouts I'll get the camera Eoghan runs the other way. She is becoming wise beyond her years.

No comments: