Wednesday, February 11, 2009

FDA and Vigabatrine/Sabril

It looks like that the FDA is going to give Ovation Pharmaceuticals Inc the green light for the sale of Vigabatrine/Sabril in the U.S. This will be great for the children with Infantile Spasms we will no longer have to be getting it from Canada some people even get it from Europe.
What I hate is the drug is produced here in the States and then exported to Canada and then we get it from Canada.
The biggest risk in taking Vigabatrine is it can result in a loss of peripheral vision which may lead to permanent impairment of eyesight. When we were given Finnians IS diagnoses it was a no brainer for us at least try him on the Vigabatrine we had nothing to lose his vision was already damaged from the stroke and I would prefer if his seizures would stop.
Vigabatrine gave us our Finnian back. I had never realized he had stopped doing somethings until he smiled when I asked " Where's my Finny winny?" I remember it was like the first time he had smiled. Our Finny still has IS but also other seizure types.
So hopefully soon I will be able to go the the pharmacy and get Finnian's Vigabatrine and not have to worry if the Border Patrol got their hands on our Sabril.

No comments: