Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Sunday June 8th 2014

Finnian's buddy Steve talked me in to doing a Spartan race so I was asking around to see if anyone wanted to do it with me and my sister in law Siobhan was on board with me so we registered. So Sunday came and off we went to attempt our first Spartan race. Siobhan wanted us to have shirts and we had to have the number 8 on the back. What is the reason for the number 8 is if you know your bingo calls you all know the call for number 88 yup thats right the 2 fat ladies. Yes we are both on the larger size but it didn't make a difference we were going to try and do this. The biggest work out I get is lifting and carrying Finn-man oh and putting his wheelchair in and out of the back of the van
So we get there take care of getting our number and race packet. Off to the start line and there is a wall you have to get across. Siobhan was funny and said there is no way she was getting over the wall with help so she went around it. A guy gave me a boost and over it I went dam was I proud of myself. Oh man the hills were "FUN" but we pushed through and yes Siobhan even got over walls with a bit of help yes I was the step stool. We even did the monkey bars and the volunteers and the crowd were brilliant coaching us through it. Siobhan even climbed the cargo net up one side and down the other all thanks to the volunteer gal that was there. Now what you don't know is Siobhan is afraid of heights so for her to that was huge. After that we did more hills climbed over rocks through the woods. Came to obstacles and thought "Oh Crap". Crawled under barbed wire and then had to get in to water and get up and climb a wall and down the other side. Siobhan tried but didn't quite make it then it was my turn. I was laughing but you know what with a boost from the volunteer I got up that sucker and down the other side. The monkey bar cargo net there was no way we were doing it so it was burpees oh man. Rope pull did it then came to a wall and said no way so it was burpees again oh man my hips were feeling them. Then we had the barbed wire crawl/roll/scoot and got hosed down in the middle of it. Oh by the way don't wear a cotton tee shirt that sucker was water logged. On to the next of course I didn't get the spear anywhere near it so it was more burpees. More hills and through the trees over rocks at this stage we had picked up to coaches Steve and Natasha. Only for them we wouldn't have gotten through it. Sand bag hill was brutal I was nearly tempted to slide down on my arse but I probably wouldn't have much of the arse of my pants left so I slipped and slid my way down. We were the last 2 on the course but when we got to the finish we had done more than we ever expected and it felt bloody good to cross that finish line. Thanks to all who were at the finish line and cheered for us and thanks to Steve and Natasha who encouraged us and really pushed us to finish.
So we now have bragging rights to being Spartans we have the black and blue marks, the achy muscles, the cuts and bumps but we also have the finishers medals
 So you know if we did it you can do it. Our time from start to finish was 5:37:16 for me and 5:37:14 for Siobhan not too bad for "88". So Tuxedo you will more than likely see "88" back on the course again and hopefully we won't be doing as many burpees.
Steve-o thanks for the push and we did have fun and we did say some colourful words as we were going up and down the hills but we did it

1 comment:

mackyton said...

Wow, seems like you enjoyed a lot in this event!! Could you share some more photographs from this event? Well dear I have never been to Bronx but planning to host our anniversary party over there. I wonder if you can share recommendations for some good party places in the Bronx!!