Friday, May 6, 2011

Finally an update

Was supposed to bring Finny to the peds on Saturday to get medical clearance for his surgery on Tuesday but he was throwing up so I decided to wait until Monday.Fingers were crossed that he would have stopped throwing up my then.Sunday night I didn't sleep at all as he was crying in his sleep all night. You know the way they will be all settled down and you think OK this time he will stay asleep and as soon as you close your eyes the crying would start again. Monday was a mad house in the peds office and we were there for nearly 4 hours but walked out with the papers signed and given the all clear. By this stage I was tired and cranky but I still had things to do to get ready for his hospital stay. Got everything done that I needed to so I crawled in to bed for a nap and when I got up I was still very tired but I just had to push through it. I was lucky my Mammy took the other 2 kids for a sleep over on Monday so at least I didn't have to worry about them at 5 am on Tuesday morning.
We had an early start as we had to be at the hospital at 6:30am. I love early morning surgery as its nice and quiet. We signed all the papers and Finnian got checked and got approved again for his surgery. At about 8:10 am I carried him back to the OR and waited until he was asleep and then went out to call and say the surgery was starting and they would get an update later when I would know when it was over. It was great as this time they didn't send him to the PICU like they have in the past. Well may be because I stressed that they were not to give him Morphine. I didn't like the way his body reacted to it last year. Then later we were shipped up to the regular ward and once he had his IV antibiotics gotten and the Oxycontin was helping with his pain they let us out of the joint early on Wednesday.I got his scripts so he can go back to his therapy and the instruction that his dressings are not to get wet and if we see any issues to take him back to see the nurse in the office. We have to follow up next week to get his dressings off.
I was so glad that the PT came in today and he got his legs straightened out. Finny was keeping them in a froggy position and you know I didn't want to pull them the wrong way and hurt him so we let Sy take care of that. He is much more comfortable now and he has better movement in his legs already. His pain is being controlled with the lower dose of the pain med which is really great but we give him the higher dose at night so he will be more relaxed and sleep better. We have only seen his usual seizures which is great considering he had a surgery.
I know I will have a few more sleepless nights so I am just going to have to start napping during the day when the nurse is here. Its not something that I normally would do but you know when your body needs sleep you will sleep regardless if its day or night.

No comments: